Conel is derived from K’lanel a native B’laan word of Kalawag in Ilonggo and Dulaw in Cebuano. K’lanel or Dulaw a herbaceous plant belongs to ginger family commonly use as herbal medicine, food coloring and other uses.
On 1931, late General Paulino Santos brought 32 families from Luzon and Visayas to Barangay Conel. It is unusual for the 32 Christian families to pronounce a B’laan word like Conel instead of K’lanel. Due to the predomination of the Christians, the native B’laan never objected and shows no resistance to the mispronunciation until succeeding generations of both Christians and native B’laan adopted the word Conel.
Barangay Conel was officially declared on November 5, 1940 by virtue of Republic Act 5412 next to Barangay Lagao.