Barangay San Jose then known as “snalu-Elib”, was already existing long before the introduction of Islam by Sheike Kabunsuan in the Island of Sarangani in the 15th century. Snalu-elib means a place in front of a cave, which was then the center of gathering and seat of government of B’laans and other ethnic groups.
In 1898, conflicts started to erupt between the Indigenous people and the Muslims. For two years, these two groups fought. However, they later co-exist in peace and harmony.
The B’laans settled from the coastal areas to the hills following the introduction of Islam from the 15th to the 19th century. The T’bolis likewise were relegated deeply into the mountains of Cotabato. The B’laans then governed snalu-Elib.
The authority of the B’laans was recognized when Datu Lumbos Calatao invited Datu Ingkong and Datu Saliwane Lumbos for a peace conference, popularly known as “fulong”.
In 1925, the Olarte’s of Barcelona Spain arrived in the Municipality of Buayan(now known as General Santos City). They settled in snalu-Elib causing so any changes in the lives of the cultural minorities. The closeness of the Olartes to the B’laan tribe explains why Mr. Olarte prefers to marry B’laan women. After a year of staying in snalu-Elib, Mr. Olarte convinced the tribal leaders headed by Datu Saliwane Lumbos to name their place after his name. The tribal leaders granted his request without reservation.
On Christmas day in 1935, during a feast in his residence in Bya-o (Lumbang), Mr. Olarte again convinced the natives about the advantage of changing the name of their place into San Jose for the following reasons: 1)snalu-Elib s difficult to pronounce; 2) San Jose is a patron saint in the Catholic religion 3) The place must be legally registered with a permanent recognized name.
However, despite the approval of the tribal leaders, the name San Jose remained unknown to the public except to close family friends of Mr. Jose Olarte.
The tragedy in 1945 at Falen (LakeParker) where 200 people drowned made a great impact on Datu Ante Lumbus, who was studying under American tutorship in Glan. He put up the first community school at Atnulang,San Josein 1946 with him as its first teacher.
In 1947, Mr. Jarque and his brother-in-law, Mr. Barney Campbell founded Hacienda San Jose. It is during this time that the name snalu-Elib was gradually replaced with San Jose. The following year, Lamlangil Primary School was changed to San Jose Primary School upon the prodding of Mr. Jose Olarte.
Hacienda San Jose was then in full operation. The sleepy barrio of San Jose came to life when investors poured in. Don Augusto Santos and his brother Horacio of Prudential Bank invested in ranching. The tribal folks and their children found their lifestyle changing caused by the opportunities offered by the hacienda.
From 1949-1952, San Jose gradually developed. Two teachers were added to San Jose Primary School. Having met the population requirements and having elected their set of barrio council officials, San Jose was duly recognized as a barrio by the municipal council of General Santos on September 17, 1956 as per Republic Act 1408.
Brgy. InformationLegal Basis of CreationRA 1408Date of CreationSeptember 17, 1956No. of Purok22No. of Household2,741InfrastructureSchools12Barangay Hall/Center1Multi-purpose pavement1Day care center1Barangay Cemetery1
Geographic InformationTopography/Terrain CharacteristicsHills, Plains and MountainsClimateModerateTerritorial BoundaryNorthSinawalSouthSarangani ProvinceEastBarangay FatimaWestT’boli South Cotabato
Brgy. OfficialsNamePositionAlfredo V. Belgica Sr.PUNONG BARANGAYAbdulrahim S. PaidumamaBARANGAY KAGAWADMae Aileen A. DulducoBARANGAY KAGAWADRonald B. BaluntoBARANGAY KAGAWADAnaliza B. BrotarloBARANGAY KAGAWADCeriaco SaranaBARANGAY KAGAWADDanilo D. BaliwanBARANGAY KAGAWADErnesto S. Salas Sr.BARANGAY KAGAWADCatherine A. LumbosSK CHAIRWOMANDanilo D. DequitoBARANGAY SECRETARYEdna S. BalasoBARANGAY TREASURER